Project

General

Profile

Kaon LT Meetings » mtg_22mar09.txt

Garth Huber, 03/14/2022 04:51 PM

 
1

    
2
		Mar 9/22 PionLT/KaonLT Analysis Meeting Notes
3
                ---------------------------------------------
4

    
5
Participants:
6
 - Richard Trotta, Vladimir Berdnikov, CUA
7
 - Pete Markowitz, FIU
8
 - Dave Gaskell, JLab
9
 - Jacob Murphy, Ohio
10
 - Nathan Heinrich, Garth Huber, Muhammad Junaid, Stephen Kay, Vijay Kumar,
11
   Love Preet, Ali Usman, Regina
12

    
13
Please remember to post your slides at:
14
https://redmine.jlab.org/projects/kltexp/wiki/Kaon_LT_Meetings
15

    
16
Nathan
17
------
18
1) Mode-10 Data Analysis Update
19
- Shows waveform output (equivalent to oscilloscope trace) for one event
20
  - turn ON parameter to get trace for every event in a data file (would take a
21
    lot of space)
22
- Plots of mV vs PMT# for both hcana and FADC readout
23
  - hcana has a software threshold applied while FADC does not
24
  - overlay of mV plots for individual HGC PMTs shows good agreement between
25
    FADC and hcana
26

    
27
- *Suggestions*
28
  - Gaskell: one idea would be to add a new variable which replicates an
29
    integrating ADC, i.e. integral over a fixed time range, so see how this
30
    compares with the FADC algorithm
31
    * DG will discuss this with Mark *
32

    
33
  - Huber: we need to keep track of #events where we get waveform data instead
34
    of firmware info, so we can easily monitor which channels have more errors
35
    - Stephen says this would be easy to add to the DEF file
36
    - right now, the waveform data replaces the FADC data if there is an error,
37
      but there is no monitor of how often this was done
38

    
39
- *Another task for DG*
40
  - DG will talk to Mark/Brad on whether we can get the FADC firmware fixed to
41
    return BOTH firmware and waveform data when there is an error in time for
42
    the upcoming run
43

    
44
- *Goal for Next Meeting*
45
  - There is additional HGC waveform data that NH needs to look at
46

    
47
Richard
48
-------
49
- brief update on Heep-COIN analysis
50
  - reproduced Vijay's Heep-COIN data and SIMC plots for one 3.8 GeV setting
51
  - still no efficiencies or livetimes implemented
52

    
53
- *Suggestions*
54
  - Gaskell: it would be advisable to do your first livetime calculation with
55
    just Comp-LT instead of EDTM-LT
56
    - Electronic-LT should be close to one anyways since we used buffered
57
      readout, so this would indicate problems separately with Comp-LT
58
      (expected to be the largest contribution)
59

    
60
- *Goal for Next Meeting*
61
  - Goal is to have 10.6 GeV Heep-COIN plots (data and simulations) at next
62
    meeting (hopefully with efficiencies, livetimes?)
63

    
64
Stephen
65
-------
66
- ifarm batch code updates
67
  - looking at hcswif.  Seems nice for literally submitting a replay, but it
68
    would take a lot of work to make it as flexible as the scripts we already
69
    have
70

    
71
- *Suggestions*
72
  - Huber: it would be useful to advertise our job system more broadly, see if
73
    others adopt it.  Stephen suggests a name: ltswif
74

    
75
Ali
76
---
77
- setting up replay scripts on ifarm, had problems
78

    
79
- *Goal for Next Meeting*
80
  - Goal is to have 8.6 GeV Heep-COIN plots (data and simulations) at next
81
    meeting (hopefully with efficiencies, livetimes?)
82
  - tracking cuts still need to be implemented, tracking efficiencies are
83
    otherwise implemented, but won't be accurate until cuts are set/checked
84

    
85
Vijay
86
-----
87
- simulating p(e,e'K+)L and comparing to data
88
  - getting much higher data yield than SIMC, so SIMC will be re-scaled by an
89
    arbitrary factor for now
90
  - background from piDelta (underneath) Lambda peak not yet subtracted
91

    
92
- shows a COINTIME plot
93
  - getting two sets of e-pi and e-K coincidence peaks, the main batch at -4
94
    and a secondary set near zero
95

    
96
- *Suggestions*
97
  - Kay: it looks suspiciously like the setting has a change in offset for some
98
    runs.  Please check if there is any run-dependence in the peak positions.
99
    - Later note: there does not appear to be any such run dependence, so the
100
      double peaks have some other (more troubling) origin
101

    
102
  - Huber: look at epi-COINTIME in addition to eK-COINTIME.  The main
103
    background is pion leakthrough, which is tilted on a 2D plot of eK-COINTIME
104
    vs MM.  It would be better to remove the leakthrough with a "vertical cut"
105
    on epi-COINTIME vs MM, as otherwise a titled cut is needed.
106
    - after this cut is applied, then look at eK-COINTIME for the remaining
107
      events
108
    - tight COINTIME cuts are okay for investigating issues of data purity, but
109
      they are difficult to use in the physics analysis, as then we have to
110
      determine what fraction of (e,e'K+) events are removed by the cut and
111
      correct for them.  Better to use a looser cut that doesn't throw away an
112
      appreciable number of (e,e'K+) events and subtract the leakthrough by
113
      some other means
114

    
115
- identifies some problem with low Q^2 hodoscope calibration
116
  - Dave Mack and Carlos Yero are working on a new hodoscope calibration code
117

    
118
- *Task for Jacob*
119
  - Jacob will follow up with DM and CY about the status of the calibration
120
    code.  It would be great if we could test it on the PionLT and KaonLT data,
121
    and see if it resolves any of the hodoscope calibration issues we have
122

    
123
- *Goal for Next Meeting*
124
  - will look first at the COINTIME offset issue
125
  - then look at data/simc comparisons for central Q2=0.50 setting
126

    
127
Jacob
128
-----
129
- just got back from holiday, so no progress report
130

    
131
- *Goal for Next Meeting*
132
  - will do some testing of new hodoscope calibration code
133
  - continue to look at EDTM-LT calculations
134
    - will meet with Richard and Brad on this
135

    
136
Upcoming Run
137
------------
138
- we will start with the identical target configuration to what we had in the
139
  fall run
140

    
141
Next Meeting
142
------------
143
Wednesday March 23 at 13:00 Eastern/11:00 Regina
(31-31/412)