Project

General

Profile

Kaon LT Meetings » mtg_22oct19.txt

Garth Huber, 10/19/2022 02:47 PM

 
1
                 Oct 19/22 PionLT/KaonLT Analysis Meeting Notes
2
                 ----------------------------------------------
3
                           (Notes by GH and SJDK)
4

    
5
                    Today: PionLT will be discussed first
6

    
7
Please remember to post your slides at:
8
https://redmine.jlab.org/projects/kltexp/wiki/Kaon_LT_Meetings
9

    
10
Present:
11
Regina - Garth Huber, Stephen Kay, Ali Usman, Love Preet, Alicia Postuma,
12
   Vijay Kumar, Nathan Heinrich, Muhammad Junaid
13
CSULA - Konrad Aniol, Emery Gunselman, Johnathan Conrad, Yeranuhui Ghandilyan
14
Ohio - Julie Roche
15
CUA - Richard Trotta, Tanja Horn
16
JLab - Dave Gaskell
17

    
18
Richard Updates
19
---------------
20
- Bill LT separation code updates
21
   - Stephen and Richard took a closer look at the code, ran into issues,
22
     determined it was a compilation issue
23
   - Contacted Bill, Bill resolved it very quickly for us over the weekend
24
      - Thanks Bill!
25
   - Requires a slightly updated cmake version, but this is a trivial change
26
   - Need to work on some updates to the code, change how cuts are applied etc
27
      - We already do this in our KaonLT code
28
      - all hardcoded file calls are fixed
29

    
30
- Tracking issues with Lumi
31
   - SHMS tracked yield still looks odd (-25%)
32
   - SHMS scaler analysis has +16% trend
33
   - DG: are you using pruning in the tracked analysis?
34
      - does not affect efficiency, just how to select best track
35
      - it could be there's a higher probability of selecting unphysical track
36
        at higher rate (more discussion later on pruning algorithm checks)
37

    
38
- For the HMS lumi studies - DG comment from Ali's committee meeting
39
   - Use ELREAL rather than ELCLEAN scalers
40
      - ELCLEAN is much cleaner, might not so affected at high rate
41
      - May help yields
42
   - Offset in BCM calibration
43
      - For low current, could just be a BCM calibration offset (100-200nA) that's
44
        causing the difference
45
      - then apply same offset to all data NEAR THAT TIME
46
      - definitely the 8.2GeV HMS scan shows evidence of the offset issue, as
47
        other points are flat ws current, and the first low current point is
48
        high
49
   - TH: Fpi-2 scaler lumi analysis also had some issues
50
      - for +polarity SHMS scan, probably will have to accept what we get once
51
        we get the - polarity scans to work out
52

    
53
- Talk for Hall C analysis meeting
54
   - Defining luminosities
55
   - Outlining cuts
56
   - Will clarify some slides and add a few updates
57
      - Will circulate tomorrow before the meeting
58
- Richard will be sending an email to Ali & Vijay requesting content for his DNP talk
59

    
60
Ali Updates
61
-----------
62
- To Do List:
63
   - test Peter Bosted's offsets and see how well they work
64
   - Investigate tracking a bit more, i.e. refresh tracking params
65
     - SHMS tracking efficiencies in particular still the big issue
66
     - believes we use pruning globally, will do some double checking
67
     - three different ways to select best track
68
   - DG: can apply cuts on many parameters, including xptar, PDF, delta, etc.
69
     - has concern that this can bias the track selection
70
     - should select a conservative set of pruning criteria that give a fixed
71
       rate dependence and use that, but optimal values might change with setting
72
     - Peter Bosted tends to be very aggressive with pruning cuts, and not sure
73
       if this is the right strategy
74
   - GH: suggest to look at lumi runs 5154-5299 (7 runs) and see what the rate
75
     dependence looks like under different pruning scenarios
76
    
77
Vijay Updates
78
-------------
79
- Busy making slides for committee meeting
80
   - Meeting is on Friday morning (10:00 CST)
81
- To Do List:
82
   - 2.7 GeV pionLT data - need to do the Lumi analysis
83
      - Carbon first
84
      - Then LH2
85
   - Pion/Kaon PID studies: cut finalization, cut dependency
86
   - LT Separation
87
      - On the cards for next year
88
- Some issues with Lumi scripts, need to diagnose
89
   - Contact Stephen if encountering errors
90

    
91
Jacob Updates
92
-------------
93
- Not at meeting, but will co-ordinate with Richard re:Analysis Meeting tomorrow
94

    
95
Nathan Updates
96
--------------
97
- PhD comprehensive done
98
- PhD Committee meeting coming soon too, report in progress
99
- Need to check with Jacob on his progress for calibrations
100
- To Do List:
101
   - NGC code updates
102
      - Someone mentioned previously (last week?) that there's a new NGC
103
        calibration code
104
      - Cameron Cotton updated it, can't identify single PE peak in NGC so
105
        approach is different
106
      - fits a Gaussian to the NPE distribution and infer calibration from the
107
        width
108
      - GH: a Poisson fit would work better, as the distribution is asymmetric
109
        at low NPE
110

    
111
Junaid Updates
112
--------------
113
- PhD comprehensive written part is done
114
   - Oral exam this afternoon, good luck!
115
- PhD Committee meeting coming soon too, report in progress
116
- To Do List:
117
   - Calorimeter and DC calibrations
118

    
119
Alicia Updates
120
--------------
121
- Made a start on the helicity analysis
122
   - very preliminary plots without optimized cuts
123
   - Already looks relatively promising, see spin asymmetries
124
- To Do List:
125
   - KaonLT data PID
126
   - Background subtraction
127
   - MM peak fitting/integration
128

    
129
Next Week
130
---------
131
- PionLT will be first
132
- GH will join from Vancouver before his flight to New Orleans
133
- Stephen will be in-flight to DNP meeting
134

    
135
Reminder about meeting time for Nov 9-Dec 21
136
--------------------------------------------
137
- Wednesdays at 7:15 Regina/8:15 Eastern
138
- really apologize to those joining from California, but no other time worked
139
  for everyone
140
- will have a different poll for Jan-March, when people's teaching schedules
141
  are different.  Hopefully we can find a later time in the day
(98-98/443)